Consistently works to exemplify the mission, vision, and values of the Mississippi Center for Advanced Medicine in professional performance and through service and leadership to patients and their families, other nurses and employees, referring providers and others who the nurse comes into contact with at MCAM.
MCAM’s Hematologists and its Hemophilia Treatment Center (HTC) treats patients of all ages with bleeding disorders and sickle cell disease. They also serve pediatric patients for all hematologic conditions. Thus, the nursing position will be working with patients of all ages from newborn babies up through geriatrics.
Strives to focus on customer service, quality and gaining additional expertise within Hematology and other MCAM service lines. Serves MCAM’s Hematology department and patient families by coordinating their patient care at MCAM and beyond. Consistently demonstrates a desire to learn new medical and administrative skills.
- Provides culturally appropriate, compassionate care for patients and their families. Position will provide nursing care for both pediatric hematology patients and adult patients with bleeding disorders and sickle cell disease.
- Works closely with MCAM Hematology physicians and other support staff to triage patients, draw blood and coordinate care.
- Demonstrates a customer service minded approach to patient care.
- Provides feedback to providers and the care team regarding quality improvement.
- Obtains prior authorizations as needed.
- Works to proactively schedule patients for follow up visits and schedule new patients as needed.
- Dedicated to patient care and will occasionally work long hours if needed.
- Demonstrates patience and empathy when caring for patients.
- Assists in the orientation of clinical and non-clinical staff members.
- Properly documents patient encounters.
- Flexible in approach when working with pediatric patients, works diligently to make them feel safe and well cared for.
- Follows ChildKind best practices regarding pain assessment, prevention, management, and documentation. Works to minimize procedure related discomfort (e.g. needle sticks).
- Provides nursing care to research study patients.
- Ensures compliance with each study’s protocol by providing thorough review and documentation at each subject study visit.
- Participates in recruitment and selection of study participants by interviewing and documenting medical history to determine compliance with eligibility requirements.
- Administers investigational medications and performs patient assessments during clinic visits to determine presence of side effects.
- Provides patient education and medical information to study patients to ensure understanding of proper medication dosage, administration, and disease treatment.
- Participates with the Principal Investigator and study team to identify and prioritize the development of systems and infrastructure to maintain research quality and compliance.
- Occasional travel to attend sponsor study training meetings as required.
- Monthly outreach clinic travel
- Proficiency in chest port blood draws, sterile dressing changes, and drawing labs on patients with challenging veins.
- Collaborates closely with research team and physicians to identify potential participants in ongoing studies
- Mississippi nursing license.
- RN required (BSN preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to draw blood on both pediatric and adult patients.
- Experience in Hematology is preferred but not required
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with the ability to manage priorities
- Strong critical thinking skills, attention to detail and ability to anticipate what is needed to care for patients with complex disorders.
- Demonstrated ability to establish positive patient/customer rapport and build relationships.
- Strong end-user computer skills.
- All MCAM employees are required to get an annual flu vaccine.
- All MCAM employees are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 prior to beginning employment.
Compensation and Benefits:
The compensation for this position will be commensurate with experience. Full benefit eligibility including health, dental and vision insurance, flexible spending account, long-term disability and 401k participation.
Interested candidates may send their CV and statement of interest to:
Jordan Robinson, JD, MHA
Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
Mississippi Center for Advanced Medicine